There is a theme I’ve been contemplating all month. It’s a mantra that whispers to me in the middle of a busy work day to take a deep breath. When I’m about to rush into the next activity it says “relax and sit in meditation first.” It tells me it’s ok to cancel plans when my body needs rest. The mantra is slow down.
Have you ever considered there is great power in slowing down? I think in our culture it is mistakenly thought that power comes from forging ahead, speeding up, rushing to the finish line. But the problem with rushing is you skip over what’s important in the process- you. And in that regard you probably don’t enjoy the process much at all. On the other hand, great empowerment comes from spending time with you, getting to know you, loving you.
Slowing down has become so important to me that I have started changing my schedule, creating space in my life for slower things. Some of my favorite ways of slowing down are:
- Taking time to cook for myself and plan meals.
- Catching myself in moments of road rage and letting it go.
- Giving myself a foot soak after work.
- Spending more time on my meditation cushion, even if just to sit and listen to the sound of birds chirping outside my window before work.
- Taking slow walks in the evening or late afternoon.
- Leaving my phone on the charger to hang out with my roommates, have discussions that last over an hour, or be immersed in sewing with a friend and music on in the background.
- Reading books- real, actual books! I’m currently reading the biography of Queen Elizabeth I.
Slowing down is powerful. That’s why I’m introducing “slow down” as the theme for Mantra Made’s first collection.
My hope is that these clothes can serve as a reminder of slowing down, and be sort of a ‘wearable mantra,’ a piece that you can take out into the world with you not only physically but also mentally by keeping the mantra that comes with it close.
What do you do to slow down in a hurried world? Have you ever experienced slowing down as more powerful than going fast?